Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Little Teddy bear

Last night Samantha, my daughter sent me a picture of a little needle felted teddy bear.  I am forever driving Samantha crazy with my, that would be so easy to make all you have to do is......   So check out my little teddy bear, he's only 2 1/2" tall.  He took a small handful of wool and 30 minutes to make.
 Lucy barely opened her eyes when I laid the little bear next to her.

I've been working on a sweater I saw on a blog, It's a really pretty motif wrap jacket. The wrap was so pretty I had to have one for myself. I wrote Mirela an email, and asked if she still had the pattern and could she send me directions, if that wasn't asking too much. A few days later and a couple emails back and forth I have it, the pattern. You can check it out the wrap jacket on her blog, http://mirelap.wordpress.com/2007/10/19/sneak-peek/ 

Mirela makes some really beautiful stuff. I've been inspired to be daring when it comes to crocheting. I've made lots of scarves and even an afghan, but never an article of clothing. I grabbed a really pretty periwinkle yarn I had in my bag of acrylic yarn, it was the lightest weight yarn I could find in my stash. I made Motif A, four times, pulling out  my work till I was happy with the way it looked. Reading the instructions was so confusing, it was like someone with uncontrollable ADHD wrote them. I finally resorted to studying the diagram. I got both arms done and made four of the large motif when I ran out of yarn, no big deal, I'll just get some more in the morning. I should have known nothing is ever easy. First off, I bought so much yarn last June at several different places, I forgot where I bought this stuff. I started with Michael's, some colors were really close, but not it. I sensed this was not going to end well for me, so I bought a couple skeins of yarn, yeah, ha ha, I know! Don't I have enough wool at home? I'm not a good enough spinner yet to jump into spinning constantly thin yarn for a sweater, not for my first real article of clothing. next I ran by Joann's, there was nothing near the color I was looking for.

When I got home I decided to make lemonade, so to speak. The pieces that I already crocheted will be re-purposed  The sleeves are too small for a hat so I'm making a sachel, I need to make a lining but it looks pretty good for an accidental bag.  
 The motifs that I made might make a nice scarf.

I had to run back to Michael's today to exchange the yarn I bought yesterday. I bought medium weight and I need to get a light weight yarn. So I thought I would give the bamboo blend a try, it's really soft.  The jacket will feel really nice when I'm done.
Now to start again. At least now I have a better idea of what I'm doing.


No comments:

Post a Comment