Friday, October 8, 2010

Adventures in Dyeing

I was on my way home from The Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival in San Francisco.  I couldn't resist picking up some moss and some Eucalyptus leaves and bark to use as a dye for all of the raw wool I recently acquired. I was so anxious to get started getting some color in my life. I got my aluminum pan going with the bark and my cast iron skillets full of leaves and moss. I brought my pans to a boil and let them simmer for an hour trying to get out as much color as I could. I added my wool and set the timer for an hour. I tried to resist hovering over the simmering pots, oh but it was hard to do. Finally my timer went off. I gently pulled the wool out of the pots and let the water drain off. I soaked the wool in clean water to remove the excess color. My end product, 3 different shades of brown. I set my wet wool carefully in front of the heater to dry.
The next day even more anxious to get some bright colors. I broke down and went to the store to pick up some Kool Aid. I feel like I was cheating a little, but damn it wanted some color, not shades of neutral. I set out my bowls added the Kool Aid, 6 oz.of water, 2 oz. of vinegar and put a handful of wool in each of my bowls
.
The directions said to wrap the wool in plastic wrap and put in the microwave for 2 minutes. I got into a rhythm I wrapped my first color up and placed the wool in the microwave and tried to get the next batch ready before the microwave finished. I didn't do so well with my little game. But I suppose it was wise to go slow and be careful rather than make a mess and stain something.

This was the color I was hoping to get, something bright and not neutral.
My last day in the City I decided to visit Pt. Reyes. In all my years of being in San Francisco I have never been here.
 

Lucy and I made the hour and a half drive out to Point Reyes, going to Kehoe Beach, one of the few beaches that allow dogs. The beach was beautiful and to top it off we practically had it to ourselves.

Lucy and I walked down the beach in search of materials for my Marine Debris Sculpture. I managed to collect a bag of trash.I came across a giant starfish but had to time it just right to get out to the rock between  waves to get a picture of this lovely creature.        





I found these wonderful creations that someone made from the debris that had washed ashore

                       


On our way back to the car I had to get a picture of all these birds standing along the shore. They didn't seem to be going after anything. It just looked like they were enjoying the view and what a view to enjoy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment