Wednesday, October 13, 2010

My First Wool Rug

For days, seriously I mean days, four to be exact I worked on my very first wool rug. My new friend Meg, the lady who has taught me to spin wool; she has really inspired me. I am finding all sorts of  hidden talents.I feel this urgency to create. Meg showed me around her studio. She had a spinning wheel set up on one side of the room and had a potters wheel on the other side. She told me never let anyone tell you that you have to pick one medium to work with. I like this woman. I've not yet decided what medium I prefer to work in. I love working in metal more than anything, but when summer hits in the Sacramento Valley I have to take a break. I love wandering off with my camera and capturing the adventure. Then there's jewelry making. With all that comes the gathering and exploring just to collect what I will need for my creations. Whether it's sea glass, ocean tumbled rocks, driftwood or shells. Now with this new found fiber art it's just one more thing to search for. I've started looking at trees differently, now my mind thinks, hmm, I wonder if these leaves will give me any color.

The first thing I wanted to make with all this wool was a peg loom rug. I made my own peg loom one afternoon. It's not the prettiest thing, but it gets the job done.  

I used most of the wool from the first bag I washed. My fleece still had a lot of stickers in it. So as I was pulling and fluffing thicks strands of fleece I was trying to get rid of the stickers as I came across them.  I caught on pretty quick to weaving on a peg loom. I was ready to get a little wild, I added some of  the wool I dyed with black walnuts some of the grey wool from my second bag of wool and some light grey from my third bag.



 Progress Day 2

 Before I finished off my rug I had to get the lines all straight. Once that was done I tied off my ends and voila!

 As I was finishing up this project I had an idea for my next piece. I'm thinking a wall hanging with some driftwood. I'll just have to play and see what I come up with.
Ciao, for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment