Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thanksgiving in the City

I left home yesterday afternoon to come spend the Thanksgiving weekend in San Francisco. People on the road were absolute idiots, I had 5 near misses, I gave thanks for making it safe to the city. Lucy and I went on a short walk through the sand dunes to Sutro Park. It was a little after 4 in the afternoon  and the sky was lit up in a warm orange glow. I kept telling myself that I should run back to grab my camera, I didn't and vowed to come out the next day and take some pictures.


After my walk I ran to the grocery store to grab a few things, I had the worst timing, it was 4:50 and I had to search for a parking space.I should've left, it was a mad house in Safeway, I got some cheese and wine and some fresh sourdough bread. I made the easiest tastiest fondue. 


This morning I woke up to Lucy doing her high pitch whine. I climbed out of bed, threw on a coat.and we headed out so she could do her business. It was a blindly sunny day out here in the Richmond district. I talked to the nicest people this morning. It a nice change to what I've grown accustomed to lately.


My biggest reason for getting away by myself is to do some writing I've been putting off. I have too many distractions at home. When I go to the library there is this creepy guy that comes up to me and starts making small talk. It totally throws off my flow. You know I don't go to the library to socialize. I've tried writing in a few other places, I've tried earplugs, but really haven't found a good spot other than my tent and here in the city. Maybe it's all in my mind, shouldn't  a person be able to write anywhere or are there spots that are more conducive to artistic expression? 


My big plans for the day were to go on a walk and take some pictures. I stayed close to home. This area is my home, this apartment is my first home, I've been walking the same sand dunes and through Sutro park for my whole life. I never tire of seeing the same scenery, it's comforting that something remains the same. 
 The view from the sand dunes
 Lucy in her new coat
 Ice plant
 Yup, that's a naked guy sunning himself at the beach.
 The view from The Cliff house
 I caught a picture of a surfer catching a wave.
 Sutro Baths
 Waves breaking at Sutro Baths.

 I've always loved this rock with the heart.



 Lion statue at the gate to Sutro Park
 In all my years of coming to this park I never noticed the elephant in the tree, till someone pointed it out to me.
 Sunsetting on Thanksgiving
 Sunset at the sand dunes.
And back to where I started from.

No comments:

Post a Comment